I absolutely love any and every type of stuffed mushroom. My mom makes absolutely incredible ones that are stuffed with a simple breadcrumb mixture. I also swoon over these French Onion Soup Stuffed Mushrooms that I made a while back. And these Clam and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms? Just add them to the list.
These mushrooms are cheesy and gooey and delicious. I love the addition of minced clams. They add a different texture to the mushrooms and a slight seafood flavor. They would be perfect for an appetizer or as a side dish. Enjoy!
- 8 - 12 whole mushrooms
- 1 (6 oz.) can of minced clams, drained (save 1/4 cup of clam juice for stuffing)
- 1 green onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp. fresh garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- Dash of salt
- 1 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp. melted butter (cooled)
- 3 tbsp. finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. Mozzarella cheese, finely grated (for stuffing)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, finely grated (for garnish)
- Fresh parsley, diced (for garnish)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Gently wash mushrooms using a damp paper towel and remove stems; pat dry.
In a mixing bowl, place clams, onions, minced garlic, garlic powder, salt, 1 tbsp. melted butter and oregano. Mix thoroughly. Add Italian bread crumbs, egg, and reserved clam juice and blend. Stir Parmesan cheese and 2 tbsp. Mozzarella cheese in clam stuffing and mix well.
Place clam mixture inside mushroom cavity and slightly mound clam mixture. You should be able to stuff between 8 and 12 mushrooms depending on the size of mushrooms.
Place mushrooms in lightly oiled baking dish. Pour 1/4 cup melted butter over mushrooms. Cover and bake for about 35-40 minutes. Remove cover, sprinkle 1/4 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese on top of the mushrooms and pop them back in the oven just until the cheese melts slightly. Garnish with freshly diced parsley.
Source: The Savvy Kitchen
More from food